Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not like me at all.

Today I watched a video by my favorite artist. I guess I had an epiphany, or her words led me to remember or realize some things my soul really needed. I don’t write like this ever but I feel like I need to keep these feeling someplace I won’t forget them again. What better place than facebook, my blog and our adoption website.


I am not one to share my feelings with others not even my husband most of the time. They are very private and I do not want to be judged or told what to do by others, funny because I am a coach by profession always telling others what to do. I live my life as a coach, observing and fixing and offering up unsolicited advice when I think I know the right way to do something. That is probably why I am sharing this, incase it helps someone else’s soul too.

So here is what I don’t want to forget: “Be where your feet are.” My above-mentioned favorite artist did a series of paintings to go with that beautiful phrase. (She is my favorite and I am being selfish by not sharing her name. Someday my garden-shed/retreat/happy-place will be filled with those paintings.if you are computer savvy you can figure it out.) No more focusing on where I was, what I could have been. Having goals of course but not taking for granted the chapter of life’s book I am currently in. Cherishing it, loving it, soaking in every moment good and bad.


“I am who I am, an individual.” As a new clueless mother I looked to those around me for examples of how to be a good mother. I have a lot of really great examples all around me; friends, neighbors, a sister, my mother, my mother-in-law, sisters-in-laws etc. Yes I am watching all of you daily. Unfortunately I have gotten caught up in my flaws and how I can never do what so an so does, or listening to conversations thinking I don’t do that, and letting it all just crush how I feel about myself as a mother, a wife, and as a person. I often felt lacking in so many ways. (If you don’t please tell me your secret.)

So when my favorite artist said, “ …I used to think that there was a thing I was supposed to be that I didn’t quite fit, …then I realized I totally made that up. God wants me to be an individual, but doing that with what I have been given.”(MFA)


Duh. It pierced my heart.


I do not have to be anyone but who I am right now in this minute. I will learn, I will fail, I will be judged, I will grow, and I will get better, I will take notes. That is all I can do. I want to say I will never forget these pearls of wisdom, but I will. (that is just me, forgetful.)

Thank you favorite artist. I know you will never read this but today you saved me.

No comments: